FAQs - Working Abroad

Are there opportunities to work in the United States?

Students must apply for a J1 Visa to work in the United States. There is a fee associated with applying for a Visa.


Are there opportunities to work outside of Nova Scotia?

The Co-op Office posts opportunities from across Canada.


What are the eligibility requirements for international co-op work terms?

It is recommended that students have already completed one work term in Canada before applying for opportunities abroad.


Can I take part in an international exchange while I’m in co-op?

Students can participate in an international exchange. They are required to speak with their Co-op Coordinator about scheduling.


What’s the difference between a Visa and a work permit?

A Visa is an endorsement granted by authorities that allows one to enter/exit the country within a specified amount of time. A work permit allows you to legally work in the country.


What is the likelihood of being able to find an international work term?

International work terms are the exception more than the norm. Students looking to complete an international work term will be expected to take a lead role in developing the opportunity and acquiring the necessary work permits.


What costs are covered by my employer during an international work term?

Typically, no costs are covered. Students may earn a small stipend, but often international opportunities are on a voluntary basis and do not often result in financial gain.


Which countries, outside of Canada, offer the best chances of finding a job?

Germany, certain countries within Africa, and the United States have hired co-op students in the past. Students may research existing international opportunities through trusted organizations such as Amnesty International and the World University Services of Canada.